Friday, February 17, 2012

Books Galore


1. Favorite childhood book?
The Tale of Despereaux. Such great story telling.
2. What are you reading right now?
I'm reading some Harriet Tubman book for school, and about to continue Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, which seems great! 
3. What books do you have on request at the library?
I don't use the library, sadly. 
4. Bad book habit?
I often don't finish books, or only read a few pages a day. 
5. What do you currently have checked out at the library?
Again, I haven't used the library since elementary school.
6. Do you have an e-reader?
I have a Kindle (bought in early 2011), but I very rarely use it. 
7. Do you prefer to read one book at a time, or several at once?
One book at a time. 
8. Have your reading habits changed since starting a blog?
This blog isn't about books, so no. 
9. Least favorite book you read this year (so far?)
Iron Thunder. I thought it would be much more interesting, and especially for Avi, I was very disappointed. 
10. Favorite book you’ve read this year?
The Fault in our Stars.
11. How often do you read out of your comfort zone?
Usually only for school--but I'm trying to change that!
12. What is your reading comfort zone?
YA--anything but vampires or overdone love.
13. Can you read on the bus?
I can't read on cars/buses, but if I could, I'd finish books a lot quicker.
14. Favorite place to read?
On a nice, clean train ride or in my  bedroom on a sunny (but not necessarily hot) weekend. :P
15. What is your policy on book lending?
I rarely lend books. I'm currently lending Mockingjay to a friend, but this is the first time.......ever...?
16. Do you ever dog-ear books?
Nope!
17. Do you ever write in the margins of your books?
No, could never stay consistent.
18. Not even with text books?
I'm not in college, no comment.
19. What is your favorite language to read in?
L'anglais.
20. What makes you love a book?
The writing. The reason I have trouble reading classics is because I find the writing very slow paced.
21. What will inspire you to recommend a book?
If I like the book or finish it quickly.
22. Favorite genre?
YA Fiction and Fantasy. 
23. Genre you rarely read (but wish you did?)
Autobiography/Memoirs--I LOVE the few I've read, and I'd love to get my hands on some more. I particularly enjoyed the autobiography Bill Peet.
24. Favorite biography?
I don't like biographies at all, but see above for my favorite autobiography!
25. Have you ever read a self-help book?
Nope, unless Perks of Being a Wallflower counts.
26. Favorite cookbook?
All by Ina Garten, the Barefoot Contessa. 
27. Most inspirational book you’ve read this year (fiction or non-fiction)?
The Fault in our Stars...but the year just started. I must say, last year (and still to this day), I read Hope Was Here which was so amazing and inspirational.
28. Favorite reading snack?
Chocolate chips.
29. Name a case in which hype ruined your reading experience.
The Hunger Games. I read the first book in 2009, and now everyone is jumping onto the bandwagon, acting as if they were the first and only ones to like the series.
30. How often do you agree with critics about a book?
After reading a critical review, I'm almost always bias towards the book... But in the few reviews I have read, I agree with the critics.
31. How do you feel about giving bad/negative reviews?
I feel very guilty--but most books I buy are pretty good.
32. If you could read in a foreign language, which language would you choose?
French or Dutch. French because it's a beautiful language, but Dutch because Sanne has some (seemingly) lovely books that are in Dutch.
33. Most intimidating book you’ve ever read? 
At the time, The Mysterious Benedict Society was very intimidating. 
34. Most intimidating book you’re too nervous to begin?
Eragon. I a) don't have the time to read it, and b) assume it's bad. Also The Lord of the Rings trilogy. 
35. Favorite Poet?
I don't read poetry...at all. :P
36. How many books do you usually have checked out of the library at any given time?
Zero. 
37. How often have you returned book to the library unread?
 90% of the few times I've checked out a book via the library. 
38. Favorite fictional character? 
Katniss Everdeen. 
39. Favorite fictional villain?
Mr. Curtain from The Mysterious Benedict Society. Perfect mix of wits and evilness.
40. Books you’re most likely to bring on vacation?
House of the Scorpio, Shiver, and Anna and the French Kiss.
41. The longest you’ve gone without reading.
A few months.
42. Name a book that you could/would not finish.
The Maze Runner--in my mind, a horrible book.
43. What distracts you easily when you’re reading?
Food and noise.
44. Favorite film adaptation of a novel?
None yet--I'm hoping to assume that The Hunger Games and The Hobbit will be. And while I didn't read The Help, I thought the movie was spectacular.
45. Most disappointing film adaptation?
The Alex Rider movie. If it had been executed successfully, I'd have loved to see that franchise explode and expand. 
46. The most money I’ve ever spent in the bookstore at one time?
Probably about 70 dollars.
47. How often do you skim a book before reading it?
Always! You can never judge a book by it's first page or inside flap.
48. What would cause you to stop reading a book half-way through?
Boring writing/ lack of plot.
49. Do you like to keep your books organized?
Not really. A few years ago I had them organized alphabetically by author, but now I have them grouped in series (if they are in a series) or just randomly. I like the randomness.
50. Do you prefer to keep books or give them away once you’ve read them?
I always keep books that I buy.
51. Are there any books you’ve been avoiding?
YES: Eragon, The House of the Scorpio, Shiver, and Johnny Tremain. 
52. Name a book that made you angry.
No book has ever made me angry, but I strongly disliked The Maze Runner.
53. A book you didn’t expect to like but did?
I have such high expectations for books, so I sadly can't think of any.
54. A book that you expected to like but didn’t?
Way too many to name. Here are a few: Peak, Wicked, The Messenger, The Watson's go to Burmingham. 
55. Favorite guilt-free, pleasure reading?
A Series of Unfortunate Events series. 


Thanks to Kayley for posting these questions. Hope you all enjoyed this!

No comments:

Post a Comment